Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Indoor Outdoor Cat

I have a riddle for you. What is black and white all over, inside and outside?

It’s me! I am a Tuxedo Cat (black and white all over) and while I am an indoor (inside) cat I also have access to the outdoors (outside). I am very fortunate as I have the best of both worlds. I have lots of stairs to run up and down inside for exercise (especially when that cat Pharoah is in hot pursuit of my tail), and I am allowed out on the roof deck and front balcony. So while I get all the fresh air I want, I stay away from the mean and dangerous streets.

As you know, I am a rather well-informed cat. I do my research on the internet when my human lets me use the keyboard. I have discovered that outdoor cats have a much shorter average lifespan than indoor cats… and although I am fourteen now I intend to live a good many years more. Outdoor cats pick up diseases from other animals, run the risk of being injured or killed by cars, or even mistreated by unthinking humans. And, best of all, indoor cats have no fleas. No harmful flea collars or flea baths for me, and my human doesn’t have to worry about fleas hiding under the bedcovers!

It isn’t just me (and my feline brothers and sisters) who fare better by living indoors. Wildlife has a better chance of thriving with domesticated kitties like myself living in the comfort of our own homes. It’s estimated that hundreds of millions of birds and up to three times that many small animals are killed each year by supposedly domesticated cats. And that’s just in the U.S. Who knows what the toll is worldwide. I’m ashamed to say that where I lived previously I caught and mutilated my share of beautiful little birds and cute little rodents. But I have mended my ways.

My pal Pharoah, on the other hand, is addicted to crickets and giant moths. He doesn’t seem to understand that the look on our human’s face when he brings a cricket or giant moth into the bedroom isn’t one of admiration. I’ve tried to explain to him that a cricket landing on her face at midnight or a giant moth hanging off the ceiling over her pillow when she wakes up in the morning is NOT her favorite thing. But at least he isn’t dragging in rats and lizards like he would be if he could be out and about in the neighborhood.
It’s time for another nap. But my feline friends, if you are an indoor cat who would like to be outside in the yard, or an outdoor cat who longs for some security, have your human check out this great product: Kitty Walk Town and Country Collection Kitty Play Set from http://www.yespetsupplies.com/. You can be part of the great outdoors while feeling safe and protected. If I didn’t have my roof deck to scamper around or take a snooze, I would ask my human for one of these sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment